Assign Telephone Numbers and Phones to a User
What you need to know
This article covers how to assign telephone and phone number to users.
Dashboard Administrators are responsible for assigning phone numbers and phones to Users. Because Users won’t be able to place or receive calls until they’ve been assigned a phone number and a phone, this is a critical step.
Assign telephones/phone numbers to users
- Gather the following information for each user:
- User’s name and email address.
- User ID. This is typically the first initial followed by the last name.
- Telephone number to be assigned to the user. Note, if a user previously had a “direct line”, meaning people could dial their phone directly without the assistance of a receptionist or auto attendant, then that phone number would need to be identified.
- Type of station each user will be assigned (Premium, Standard, etc.)
- Phone model
- MAC address, also known as the serial number, which can be
- found on the box or on the back of the phone.
- List of your user’s extensions. If you do not have a preference,
- the system automatically assigns the last four digits of the user’s phone number as the extension.
- A bulk upload of this information is supported for Companies or Sites with a large number of Users.
- For ATA devices, the port number needs to change depending on the port number being assigned to the device. It will not always be one (1). Confirm the port number before assigning ATAs.
- Log in to the Enterprise Portal.
- Select your Site from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Numbers tab.
From here, you can assign phone numbers, modify extensions, assign stations (phones) to users, and modify the user’s first and last name.
The following describes the Lists type on the Numbers tab:
- List by Number – Provides a list of phone numbers associated with each user.
- List by Service – Provides a list on the type of service assigned to each phone number.
- Choose the List By Number tab and select the Assign drop-down next to the Phone Number to which you want to assign the station.
- From the drop-down, select As a User.
- The Assign New User window appears.
- Select the Station tab, select the station Type from the drop-down list. Reference your Order Summary to verify the station type you should select.
- Select Assign.
- Then select Next to advance to the User Info tab.
Note: You can only assign stations to Users who are active on your site.
- Enter the user’s First Name and Last Name.
- Confirm the Caller ID Number. When placing calls to a Contact with Caller ID enabled, this number will appear on the receiver’s phone. To change the External Caller ID, select a number from the drop-down list.
- Enter the User’s Extension. The extension can be 2 - 6 numeric digits.
- Enter the User ID. You can define up to 4 additional User IDs per User such as the End User’s email address. This is the User ID the End User will use to login into the My Phone Portal, UC-One clients and any Business Apps they are assigned to. All logins must have a format of “Username@domain”.
- Enter the User’s email address. This email address receives My Phone credentials and voice portal information. When passwords are modified, the User is notified at this address.
- Click Save.
- Click Next to the Device tab.
- Select the phone model from the Model drop-down list.
- Select the MAC Address. This must match the MAC address on the device you are assigning.
- Select 1 from the Port drop-down list.
- For VoIP phones, the Port Option will typically display as “Port 1”
- For Analog Telephone Adapters (ATAs)
- Record the Telephone Number that has been assigned to each ATA port.
- Select Port on the ATA that this phone number is assigned to.
- The system will determine whether the selected device can support multiple lines. If so, select the desired number of Line Appearances under Appearance(s).
- Click Assign.
- Finally, select Finish.
- Repeat these steps for each user.