Configure Unified Messaging (from My Account)
What you need to know
The Unified Messaging feature allows users to retrieve voice and fax messages via My Messages on the My Phone dashboard, or via email. Voicemails are sent in.wav format, and faxes are sent in .tiff format.
Optionally, notifications can be sent to a mobile phone via text or email. These notifications will not include the Voicemail or fax files.
This article will provide instructions for administrators to configure the Unified Messaging service for a User.
To learn how to modify the My Account basics, please visit the My Account Overview Article.
A. Feature Prerequisites
Before the Unified Messaging feature can be used, the user must have a station assigned to them with at least one in-bound number. See details in User Assignments.
B. Configure Unified Messaging for a user
- Log in to the Enterprise Portal.
- Select your Site from the drop-down menu.
- Select Users from the left menu.
- Select Edit next to the user you would like to configure Unified Messaging for.
- Select Station Enhancements.
- Select the Unified Messaging tab.
- Under Settings, check Notify me when a message is received and select:
- Via Email – Enter the email address that should receive an alert when there is a message (Voicemail and fax).
- Via SMS - Enter the mobile number and select the wireless provider from the drop-down list.
- Next, check Send a copy of all new messages to another email address and enter the address, if applicable.
- Check Transfer on 0 to phone number and enter a phone number where callers can transfer from Voicemail by dialing 0, if applicable.
- If enabled, enter the destination to which calls should be transferred. If this feature is configured, be sure to record your voicemail greetings with appropriate guidance for the caller. For example, “To reach me on my assistant, press zero.”
D. Voice Messaging
- Select when the Voicemail function should be active. Select from one of the following:
- Off (no Voicemail)
- On (busy and unanswered calls go to Voicemail)
- Always (all calls go directly to Voicemail)
E. Fax Messaging
- Turn fax messaging On or Off.
- If On is selected, select the number you want to receive inbound faxes for the user from the Phone Number drop-down list.
- Assign an extension for the fax number, if applicable.
F. Message Storage
- Select System Mailbox if you want messages accessed via phone or the My Phone dashboard.
- Check Message waiting indicator on phone, if applicable.
- Check External Mailbox if you want all messages sent as a file to the email you enter for the user: .wav for Voicemail, and .tiff for fax.
G. GreetingsThere are two types of Voicemail greetings - Busy and No Answer.
- The Busy Greeting will be played when:
- The user is on their phone; voicemail is enabled and call waiting is disabled.
- Do Not Disturb is enabled.
- The No Answer Greeting will be played when:
- The user does not answer their phone.
- Select the Number of rings before playing a greeting before a Voicemail greeting is played.
- Select the type of message the caller hears when the line is busy.
- Select Default – To play the default system greeting.
- Select Custom – To upload your own custom personalized greeting.
- Click Upload button and browse for the file on your computer. All Voicemail greetings must be formatted as CCITT U-Law, 8.000 kHz, 8-bit Mono attributes as a .wav file.
- Click Open
- Click Save.