Admin Portal: Adding and Assigning Devices and Users
What you need to know
Administrators can add and assign devices within the admin portal. In this guide, we’ll review how to add a device. And then, how to add a user and assign the user a device.
Adding a Device
- Log in to the admin portal.
- Select the Devices tab from the left-hand navigation.
- Select Add Ported Device.
- The Add Device wizard will appear. From here, choose the Site where you would like to add the device.
- Next, choose the device you would like to add from the Device drop-down menu.
- Enter the MAC Address of the device to be added and select Save. The new device will now show up in your device list.
Note: Only Verizon sold devices are allowed and supported with Business Digital Voice.
Adding a User
Now that the device is added, you can assign it to a user. To quickly set up a user, go to the Quick Start menu from the admin portal dashboard.
- Select Set Up a User from the Quick Start menu.
- The user setup wizard will appear. Enter the user’s First and Last Name. When a new user is created, the Caller ID First Name and Last Name is system-generated from the first and last name entered here.
- Enter the Email for the user. The email entered here will be used as the main method of communication for the user.
- The email entered for the user is automatically copied to the User ID field. This can be changed, if desired. The user ID must be in the format of an email address. The email entered here will be used as the main method of communication with the user.
- Select Next to save and continue.
- Assign the user a Phone Number and/or Extension.
Extension-Only Feature Notes:
- If you have the extension-only feature enabled, users can be added with only an extension. If you do not have this feature enabled, a phone number assignment is required.
- Users assigned only an extension still have the ability to make outbound PSTN calls. The main number for the site will display in the Caller ID.
- Next, select the user's Station. After you select the station package for the user, you will be provided with the soft client apps available to assign the user. Place a checkmark next to the apps you would like to assign the user. This can later be modified by editing the user profile on the Users tab.
- Select Next to save and continue.
Note: Special characters are now supported in the user first and last name but are not supported in the Caller ID names. Unsupported special characters are removed when the Caller ID first and last names are generated. Once the user is created, administrators can modify this information within the user's Edit User screen. To do so, select the User page from the dashboard. Find the user to modify, select Actions and then Edit. Then select User Assignments.
Assigning a Device to a User – By MAC Address
The final step to adding a user is to assign a device to the user. This step is optional and will pull from the list of devices you have already added to the system.
- Select a Device from the Find and add a device search bar. A list of MAC address and device combinations will appear.
- Select the number of ports. This is the line that plugs into the wall.
- Select Save to save your changes.
- Now that your device has been assigned, it can be set up manually, and you can configure it in the Users or Devices tabs within the admin portal.
- The user has now been added and is available to configure settings and services on the Users tab in the admin portal. See additional guides for modifying user features and services in the admin guides section of this site.